2014 Media for Liberty Award Honors Pacific Standard’s "The Deluge" by Vince Beiser
Award winning article shatters misconception of dwindling oil supplies and highlights the vast potential impact of new fossil fuel resources on global economics, politics and the planet itself.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Liberty Media Corporation (Nasdaq: LMCA, LMCB) today announced that the winning entry of its fifth annual Media for Liberty Award is "The Deluge," a story by Vince Beiser that appeared in the March/April 2013 issue of Pacific Standard magazine.
“The Deluge” artfully surveys the enormous technological innovations being made worldwide that are unlocking an abundance of new oil and natural gas supplies—enough to power the world for years to come. Those innovations are reshaping the geopolitical map, undermining traditional oil powers from Saudi Arabia to Russia and propelling new countries into leading roles. Vince Beiser takes readers inside these developments, from Brazil’s offshore platforms to North Dakota’s fracking fields, to examine the political, economic and environmental implications of this new energy order.
"The Media for Liberty Award seeks to recognize journalists who examine the complicated relationship between economic and political liberty,” said John Malone, Chairman of Liberty Media. “On behalf of the jury panel, we congratulate Vince for confronting the widely assumed notion of oil’s depleting supply and introducing us to a future of infinite industrial and economic possibilities with vast changes in the geo-political landscape.”
"The Deluge" by Vince Beiser for Pacific Standard magazine will be celebrated at a ceremony hosted by Liberty Media on Tuesday, May 20th, at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.
The Media for Liberty Award is a $50,000 journalism prize that recognizes media contributions that examine the link between economic and political liberty. Print, broadcast and online submissions were judged on criteria including thematic relevance, educational value and relevance to the public discourse.
For more information on the Media for Liberty Award, including past honorees and details regarding eligibility please visit www.mediaforlibertyaward.com.
The distinguished Media for Liberty panel represents thought leaders in the world of business, journalism and media:
- Christy Carpenter – former CEO Winthrop Rockefeller Institute; former Executive Vice President and Chief Operational Officer, Paley Center for Media
- David Faber – Co-Anchor, “Squawk on the Street,” CNBC
- Allan Dodds Frank – Investigative Correspondent; President, Society of the Silurians, a New York journalism group founded in 1924; and Past President, Overseas Press Club of America
- John Malone – Chairman, Liberty Media Corporation
- Stacey Woelfel – Former Chairman, Radio-Television News Directors Association
- Mark McSherry – Columnist, Markets and Companies, Forbes.com and Professor of Journalism and Mass Communication, St. Francis College and New York University
- Maria Streshinsky – Editor-in-Chief, Pacific Standard magazine; former Managing Editor, The Atlantic
[Note: Ms. Streshinsky recused herself from evaluating the winning entry given her role in editing the story.]
About Liberty Media Corporation
Liberty Media Corporation owns interests in a broad range of media, communications and entertainment businesses, including its subsidiaries Sirius, Atlanta National League Baseball Club, Inc. and TruePosition, Inc., its interests in Charter Communications, Live Nation Entertainment and Barnes & Noble, and minority equity investments in Time Warner Inc., Time Warner Cable, and Viacom.
Contacts for Liberty Media:
Courtnee Ulrich, 720-875-5420
Whit Clay, 212-446-1864
Source: Liberty Media Corporation
Released March 13, 2014