2013 Media for Liberty Award Honors Vanity Fair’s “The Wrath of Putin” by Masha Gessen
Award-winning story tells of the authoritarian rule of Russian President Vladimir Putin by uncovering the background of his complicated conflict with Mikhail Khodorkovsky, once Russia’s wealthiest man, but now imprisoned in Russia
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Liberty Media Corporation (Nasdaq: LMCA, LMCB) today announced that the winning entry for its fourth annual Media for Liberty Award is “The Wrath of Putin,” a story by Masha Gessen that appeared in the April 2012 issue of Vanity Fair magazine.
As described by Vanity Fair, “The Wrath of Putin” uncovers the complicated conflict between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Mikhail Khodorkovsky, once Russia’s richest oligarch. The conflict has led to Khodorkovsky’s imprisonment for almost a decade, the smashing of his empire and fear among his family members. But, he may now be Vladimir Putin’s most dangerous opponent. With in-depth reporting from Moscow and her own personal experience and relationships, Masha Gessen masterfully chronicles the bitter war between “one man’s truth and another’s tyranny.”
“The Media for Liberty Award is about recognizing great works of journalism that capture the connection between economic and political liberty and Masha has written a remarkable and compelling story that embodies the goal of the award,” said John Malone, Chairman of Liberty Media. “On behalf of the jury panel, we congratulate her along with the editors and publishers of Vanity Fair for telling this story and further exposing the challenging nature of the evolution of Russian business and politics and its impact on human rights and freedom.”
“The Wrath of Putin” by Masha Gessen for Vanity Fair magazine will be celebrated at a ceremony hosted by Liberty Media and emceed by John Stossel, host of “STOSSEL” on Fox Business and Fox News contributor, at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.
The Media for Liberty Award is a $50,000 journalism prize that recognizes media contributions that examine the link between economic and political liberty. Print, broadcast and online submissions were judged on criteria including thematic relevance, educational value and relevance to the public discourse.
For more information on the Media for Liberty Award, including past honorees and details regarding eligibility please visit www.mediaforlibertyaward.com
The distinguished Media for Liberty panel represents thought leaders in the world of business, journalism and media:
- Tucker Carlson - Editor-in-Chief, TheDailyCaller.com; political commentator, Fox News Channel
- Christy Carpenter - CEO Winthrop Rockefeller Institute; former Executive Vice President and Chief Operational Officer, Paley Center for Media
- Jonathan Dahl - Editor-in-Chief, SmartMoney
- Allan Dodds Frank - Independent Business Investigative Correspondent; Past President, Overseas Press Club of America
- John Malone - Chairman, Liberty Media Corporation
- Mark McSherry - Professor of print and digital journalism; veteran journalist
- Maria Streshinsky - Editor-in-Chief, Pacific Standard; former Managing Editor, The Atlantic
- Stacey Woelfel , Ph.D. - Associate Professor, Missouri School of Journalism; Past Chairman, Radio-Television News Directors Association
About Liberty Media Corporation
Liberty owns interests in a broad range of media, communications and entertainment businesses, including its subsidiaries Atlanta National League Baseball Club, Inc., SiriusXM, and TruePosition, Inc., its interests in Live Nation Entertainment and Barnes & Noble, and minority equity investments in Time Warner Inc. and Viacom.
Courtnee Ulrich, 720-875-5420
Whit Clay, 212-446-1864
Source: Liberty Media
Released March 14, 2013